[llvm-dev] Dereferenceable load semantics & LICM

Artur Pilipenko via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 7 10:51:34 PDT 2017

On 7 Apr 2017, at 00:54, Sanjoy Das <sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com<mailto:sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com>> wrote:

+CC Artur

On April 6, 2017 at 2:51:17 PM, Keno Fischer (keno at juliacomputing.com<mailto:keno at juliacomputing.com>) wrote:
I left a comment on https://reviews.llvm.org/D18738 earlier which I
feel is related to this discussion, so I'm reproducing it here:

I wonder though if what we want to express isn't some sort of
"type-based dereferencability annotations". For example the semantics
I care about are essentially, "if you know you have a defereferencable
pointer, you can go and dereference any other valid (managed) pointers
the pointed to data references (recursively)". This has to be true for
me, because the GC walks all pointers recursively that way. Of course
the problem with this is that the compiler doesn't know which part of
the referenced data are valid pointers for this purpose (and it can't
just be based on the struct type, because we do store pointers to
unmanaged data). So if we had a way to express to the compiler "here
are the pointers in this struct that you may assume dereferencable",
that would work very well for me.

That is very close to what we (Azul) do internally (I think Artur
covered some of this on his EuroLLVM talk).
The slides and videos from the conference have not yet been published, but I posted my slides on slideshare:
https://www.slideshare.net/secret/Bj7JJPimlxjwGb

In a few words, we introduced the notion of Java types which are expressed in the IR using attributes and metadata, we derive various facts from the Java types including dereferenceability.

Artur

If we have:

if (x instanceof java.lang.String) {
  if (arbitraryCondition) {
    char[]v = x.value;
  }
}

we know we can hoist the load of x.value outside the
arbitraryCondition check (modulo aliasing).

-- Sanjoy

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev