[llvm-dev] Error compiling newlib for ARM with the integrated assembler

Moore, Catherine via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 6 11:02:38 PDT 2017

I'm working on compiling newlib with LLVM.  The target that I'm using is arm-none-eabi.   I'm running into an error with compiling strlen (newlib/libc/machine/arm/strlen.S).

strlen.s:4:19: error: invalid operand for instruction
 ldrb.w r2, [r3], #1

The test case looks like this (reduced):

.arch armv7
 .thumb
 .syntax unified
 ldrb.w r2, [r3], #1

This assembles fine, if I remove the width modifier (.w) from the ldrb instruction.  It also accepts ldrb.n without a problem.  Given that this instruction should default to a width of 32 bits, is there any reason why we can't accept the .w modifier?   If such a change is acceptable, I will prepare a patch.  Any pointers to where such a patch should be implemented, would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Catherine