[llvm-dev] LLVM Virtual Machine

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 28 10:50:52 PDT 2016

It's not really a virtual machine. The name is misleading. It's an
optimizer that uses a virtual instruction set.

There is an interpreter, lli, for the virtual instruction set, but in fact
it's usually a JIT compiler. You can force it to interpret, which is about
300 times slower. In any case, lli will only run programs compiled for the
host computer, so it's not a virtual machine in the usual sense.