[llvm-dev] [RFC] Require PRs for XFAILing tests

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 28 10:05:31 PDT 2016

I think one of the good things that would come out of this policy change is that we would have to audit the existing XFAILs. The most common XFAIL directive from my grep is "XFAIL: *”, which is the universal failure. I cannot think of any situation where a universally failing test should be in-tree unless it is a bug that someone is expecting to fix.

The only situation that I’ve come up with where filing a PR for an XFAIL isn’t reasonable would be for out-of-tree tests, although it is likely I’m not thinking of some edge case. To support out-of-tree code I think that we could adapt my patch to support multiple prefixes that denote different bug trackers. That would allow downstream users to annotate their tests for their bug trackers.

-Chris