[llvm-dev] Is it time to allow StringRef to be constructed from nullptr?

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 25 16:11:26 PDT 2016

I thought about doing something like that, but most compilers will fold a
call to strlen on a string literal into a constant anyway, so in practice I
don't think it matters much.  I know Clang does, and I tested MSVC and it
does too.

D:\>type strlen.cpp
#include <string.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  int x = strlen("This is a test");
  printf("%d", x);
  return 0;
}

D:\>cl /O2 strlen.cpp
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.24213.1 for x86

strlen.cpp
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.00.24213.1

/out:strlen.exe
strlen.obj

D:\>dumpbin strlen.obj /disasm | grep -C 5 main
  00000018: FF 30              push        dword ptr [eax]
  0000001A: E8 00 00 00 00     call        ___stdio_common_vfprintf
  0000001F: 83 C4 18           add         esp,18h
  00000022: C3                 ret

_main:
  *00000000: 6A 0E              push        0Eh*
  00000002: 68 00 00 00 00     push        offset ??_C at _02DPKJAMEF@
?$CFd?$AA@
  00000007: E8 00 00 00 00     call        _printf
  0000000C: 83 C4 08           add         esp,8
  0000000F: 33 C0              xor         eax,eax

Also, IANALL, but I don't believe you can overload on const char* vs. const
char (&T)[N].  If you have both overloads, a string literal and char array
will still select the const char* overload, at least in the tests I
attempted.