[llvm-dev] Recommended computer resources to build llvm

Pranith Kumar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 6 21:10:51 PDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

> I’m not sure why ThinLTO would be a solution here: the original post does not even mention LTO and I’d expect ThinLTO to consume strictly more memory than a non-LTO build.
> Also ThinLTO is not enabled by default for -flto.

This is from personal experience. The same thing happened to me(4
core, 8 HT, 16 GB RAM). The build kept failing during linking stage. I
went and got another 16 GB but by this time the master branch started
consuming no more than 6 GB. The only change was the LTO linking, so I
assumed it was the thinLTO change and didn't investigate further.

Worth a try!

--
Pranith