[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Using lld in ELLCC for different targets

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 30 00:33:48 PDT 2016

Thank you very much for the testing of LLD Rich.

The current status of the ARM port of LLD is that I've been working on
the obvious known missing features first, but I haven't aggressively
tested LLD on ARM against real applications to find the long tail of
bugs that will need fixing. I think we're close to that point, but not
yet.

Unimplemented features:
- Target awareness, LLD assumes ARMv7 (Cortex A and R) and makes use
of Thumb2 branch encodings and instructions, it will be possible to
link ARMv6 programs but don't try and run them on a ARMv6 machine. The
most widely known v6 platform used by developers is the original
Raspberry Pi.
- Long branch thunks, that is one of the reasons you'll see many
R_ARM_CALL instructions out of range on larger programs.
- big endian, a little more complicated than other targets due to
instructions being little endian in ARM BE8. It is true that big
endian linux systems are much rarer than little endian, but there have
been a few instances. It is more common in microcontrollers.

Known problems:
- ifunc not working
- TLS for static linking not working
- ARM (and AArch64) undefined weak reference handling

I know what the problems are and have some prototype fixes. I'll be
working to get these fixes in soon.

Peter