[llvm-dev] What was the IR made for precisely?

ジョウェットジェームス via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 27 03:05:24 PDT 2016

Hi,
wanting to build up some language of my own, I have always thought about feeding my compiler output to a C compiler like gcc or clang, however when I learned about (considered using) LLVM IR I immediately thought it could be of some help.

LLVM doesn't seem to be portable though, some people seem to say "If you are generating C then why not go all the way and generate some intermediate representation like LLVM IR?", but what do they mean?

C is like a portable assembly, I just have to check my numeric limits and be careful about portability and it's OK. With LLVM IR I will have to take the target platform into consideration when I compile.

This leads to my second question, what is the true goal of LLVM IR? I feel like some people are disagreeing on this aspect.

JJ

iPhoneから送信