[llvm-dev] [help] How to speed up compilation?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 18 10:36:53 PDT 2016

On 18 October 2016 at 18:25, Sunghyun Park <sunggg at umich.edu> wrote:
> My machine has Intel Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz * 8 with 8GM RAM

I have a Xeon X3450 * 8, which seems less powerful than yours, and it
does a full build + check-all in less than 1h.

> which is far behind the recommended build environment ( Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @
> 3.50Hz, 16 GM RAM, and a 1TB 7200RPM HDD or SSD, ref :
> https://blogs.s-osg.org/an-introduction-to-accelerating-your-build-with-clang/)

That's pretty much my config, 4-core (8-threads), and I builds cold
and check-all in ~30min.

But I think the trick is to not update the sources every time.

If you're working on your branch, keep it stable and just rebuild for
development.

Then, once in a while (~every week), you rebase with trunk and do a
full build while you have some tea.

Then go back to a stable branch, with only your changes for the rest
of the week.

cheers,
--renato