[llvm-dev] [help] How to speed up compilation?

Sunghyun Park via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 18 09:56:54 PDT 2016

I'll try those guys! Thanks for advices, all!

Btw, I have a question.
Personally, it feels like compilation become much slower than previous
versions after adopting 'cmake'.
Is this natural when we adopt cmake or are there other big changes on build
structure?
I'm not that familiar with huge system like llvm yet, so I want to catch up
how professionals design their system.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Matthias Braun <mbraun at apple.com> wrote:

> These are two comprehensive blog posts about how to compile llvm/clang
> faster:
>
> https://blogs.s-osg.org/an-introduction-to-accelerating-
> your-build-with-clang/
> https://blogs.s-osg.org/a-conclusion-to-accelerating-
> your-build-with-clang/
>
> - Matthias
>
> On Oct 18, 2016, at 7:56 AM, Tim Northover via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On 18 October 2016 at 07:51, Renato Golin via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> A few hints:
>

> Another one for debug builds on Linux is using split debug info:
> -DLLVM_USE_SPLIT_DWARF=ON. This speeds up links dramatically (and
> reduces memory consumption) as long as you've got a new enough gdb (I
> think lldb is still not quite up to it). It has no effect on macOS
> though, because a similar configuration is just how things work there.
>
> Tim.

Best, Sung