[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Sylvain BERTRAND via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 18 02:17:50 PDT 2016

Hi,

This is not the purpose of my distro.

The purpose of my distro is to account for complexity lock-in and to remove
this as much as possible. This complexity is usually performed in 2 ways:
 - ultra costly languages/runtime to implement (c++/java...), and I don't think
   "ultra" is a word big enough.
 - multiplication of script languages (python2/python3/ruby/javascript/perl/guile...)

It is to keep the technical cost the lowest possible in order to let the door
reasonnably open to alternatives of the same language. c++ is slapping this
door at the face of any attempt to produce working alternatives.
An other point of view is the level of entry which is usually much higher on
c++ projects due to syntax complexity, and often non-pertinent in
the goal to achieve.

Then c++ compilers and c++ in itself fail big time to achieve my goal, because their
implementation cost is orders of magnitude higher than a C99 compiler.

Not to mention the sick attitude of many c++ developers which is to maximize the
complexity of their object oriented design because they think it makes them
smart. Smart is to address a pb as elegantly as possible with low technical
cost components. The pb is that c++ syntax amplify the damage caused by this
attitude, again in dramatic proportion.

It is better to lose syntax sugar and to type a bit more than to get super
duper syntax sugar at the price of a dependency on an ultra complex compiler/runtime.

Currently mesa glsl compiler is based on llvm for AMD gpu. That's why I'm
looking at integrating llvm.

llvm is c++, then I know I'm talking to walls there, but this is a matter of
sincerity.

--
Sylvain