[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 15:51:07 PDT 2016

Stable releases don't upgrade the toolchain because the whole system is
guaranteed to be stable under a single combination of the compiler,
libraries, tools, headers, secondary libraries, etc.

Validation of a new toolchain means releasing a whole new distro, with old
packages, but they're busy validating new releases, too.

The gcc abi 5 issue is on recent event that you could have a read to
understand what kinds of problems can happen.

Windows just duplicates all libraries and each app is independent. You can
use different compilers, but you end up with a big list of dlls all over
the place, and compatibility is never guaranteed.

How Steam has hacked Linux support is a good example of Windows style on
Linux, and the quality you get is a good reason not to follow that path.

They're just different models, with different constraints. If we were a
distro, trying to change the status quo would be fun. We don't have that
bandwidth, so we just do what everyone else is doing. :-)

Cheers,
Renato