[llvm-dev] unable to compile llvm with gcc 4.7.4

Pete Cooper via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 12 15:40:03 PDT 2016

> On Oct 12, 2016, at 3:33 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> We don't ship proper toolchains for distros, we ship toys that worked on one developer's machine, and that includes our binaries as well.

Ok, thats fair.  Having never actually downloaded one, I didn’t know the state of it.

Out of interest, are newer toolchains available from apt-get and other similar package managers?  The only part of supporting linux/BSD in this way I question is that we end up stuck with whatever shipped with the OS, not what may be available via their package managers.  If the available packages are also old GCC versions then fair enough, but I just want to understand the ecosystem.
> Distro validation is a huge deal, especially toolchain, and we're in no way equipped to even try to do a bad job at that.
>
> Unix is a different world than that of Windows and Mac, and it makes no sense to force the same requirements, either way.

I guess I already alluded to this, but if a package is available in the same way that a new Xcode/MSVC is available, then i’m not sure why we should treat it differently.
> I don't opine on msvc or xcode topics or design decisions because I don't know enough to have any reasonable opinion, and I most certainly won't try to make them more like Unix.

You should.  We need plenty of voices to make sure we make the best decisions we can.  Incidentally, i’ve built GCC in a past life on the PlayStation 2 Linux environment.  I’m somewhat aware of the pain, although that was quite a time ago.
> These things are what they are for good reasons and I think we should just leave it at that.
>
> Cheers,
> Renato
>
> PS: I don't mean disrespect either, but we have this discussion every time someone mentions upgrading gcc.

None taken.
> Maybe we should write some documentation to avoid repeating the same arguments. :-)

SGTM.  I’m willing to admit my almost complete ignorance in all things linux/BSD, so to have it written down somewhere and avoid the next person like me asking would be good.

Cheers,
Pete