[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Ed Maste via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 3 08:27:40 PDT 2016

On 2 October 2016 at 23:43, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> For anyone still on gcc 4.2.1, then I think this entire discussion is kind
> of irrelevant, because they are already having to build a new toolchain to
> compile LLVM, since the minimum is currently 4.7.  So for those people, I
> would imagine 4.7 vs. 4.9 makes no difference?

I believe that's correct. We have a few cases wrt compilers in the
base system, in supported FreeBSD branches:

1) GCC 4.2.1 is /usr/bin/cc, Clang 3.4.1 or later is available as /usr/bin/clang
2) GCC 4.2.1 is /usr/bin/cc, Clang is not available
3) Clang 3.4.1 or later is /usr/bin/cc

As long as the minimum Clang version required to build LLVM doesn't
move past 3.4.1 we have a way to build with the system tool chain for
1 and 3. As you point out Case 2 already has a tricky bootstrapping
path, and this proposal doesn't really make it any harder.