[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 2 12:31:50 PDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Pete Cooper via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I haven't been following C++14 closely, but from hallway conversations at
> work it seems like 17 is the bigger win in terms of features.
>
> Is it worth waiting for 17 instead? Or, as we will only get a subset of 14
> features anyway, just instead take a subset of 17 features?
>
> My only worry with 14 is that it's always going to be code churn in terms
> of using the new features. If they are worth it then no problem, but we
> should make sure they are. I'd prefer we have the update bots and code
> churn once instead of twice in the near future.
>
> Finally, I think we have clang 3.1 as the min version. Anyone know what
> that minimum will move to for the 14 support needed? I don't think it's as
> much of an issue as most distros are gcc based, but still good to know.
>
> Cheers
> Pete
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I am compiling a large number of packages with their make files .

One important problem is the missing features from compilers .

For example : A program is using C++14 which is compilable with GCC . When
it is tried to be compiled with CLang , it is failing because CLang does
not have C++14 features .

This means , if C++14 is skipped from the CLang compiler , a lot of
packages will not be compilable with CLang .

Then a more easy way to compile a large number of packages , a more
convenient compiler will be GCC and Clang will be eliminated naturally .

My opinion is that during decision of what to include or exclude may make
it necessary to consider coverability of possible compilable ports/packages
and what users can do for them .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk