[llvm-dev] RFC: Constructing StringRefs at compile time

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 28 10:53:34 PST 2016

OK - good to know. (not sure we're talking about pessimizing it - just not adding a new/possible optimization, to be clear)

Okay, glad to hear it.  I admit I wasn't following the thread all that closely.

Just out of curiosity - are there particular reasons you prefer or need to ship an MSVC built version, rather than a bootstrapped Clang?

We experiment with a bootstrapped Clang from time to time.  The benefit has never been clearly worth the additional cost of internally supporting a Windows-target Clang.  (Which is non-trivial; yes it's still Clang, but it's a different target OS, different object-file format, different debug-info format, etc.)
--paulr