[llvm-dev] Is the correct behavior of getelementptr i192* for opt + llc -march=aarch64?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Nov 12 07:28:55 PST 2016

On 12 November 2016 at 03:42, MITSUNARI Shigeo via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Thank you, I lost it, but I always use opt and llc on each host and do not mix them.
> I'm sorry, I should have written %opt -O3 a.ll -o -|llc -O3 -o - (on x86-64 / aarch64).

Yes, that works if it's all native.

> I see, but I want load192() in the previous mail should be inlined, but
> only llc does not it if alwaysinline attribute is add.

Right, and that shows my argument very well: opt+llc != llc alone.

This time, it worked for you and you got the result you wanted. Next
time, it may work against you and you'll be in the situation where you
don't know if you run opt or not beforehand, depending on the case, or
how many times you'll run opt.

I recommend you identify why opt is making a difference and submit a bug report.

In theory, opt will pass the same passes in the same order as llc
(give or take a few things), so this falls into two scenarios:

1. Some pass *after* inlining is reducing the threshold of the
function you want to inline, so it only inlines on the second pass.

To see if this is the case, try to run opt twice on the IR (opt | opt)
and see if the function is inlined the second time. If it is, then the
"fix" would be working around the heuristics, or fiddling with your
function to understand and correct the problem.

Using --print-after-all will give you an idea which pass is
responsible for the simplification (hint: check for the state of IR
just before the inlining phase on both runs, then trace back "who did
it" when it worked).

2. Opt and llc are not passing the same passes in the same order.

With the --print-after-all results from the investigation above, you
can try to re-order the passes via opt and see, if you run in the same
order as llc, you get only the out-of-line function.

If this is the case, then changing llc to re-order the passes (and be
like opt) could be an easy fix.

But always remember: both opt and llc are *debug* tools. If you build
a compiler with LLVM you should use the middle and back end classes
inside your front-end driver.

Emitting IR and using opt/llc is only a way to bootstrap your
front-end, and not meant to be embedded in a final product.

As an example, if we change llc to be like opt here, all the other
tools that rely on llc's behaviour will change unexpectedly, and this
may break or generate worse code for them. You don't want to be in
that situation.

But it would be good if both opt and llc behave in similar ways, so
that you can bootstrap products and run more reliable tests with them.

cheers,
--renato