[llvm-dev] Running GlobaISel passes after SelectionDAG instruction selection

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 10 08:09:14 PST 2016

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 04:54:42PM -0800, Quentin Colombet wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>

> > On Nov 7, 2016, at 9:28 AM, Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been experimenting with global isel over the last few weeks and it
> > is such a vast improvement over the SelectionDAG for the AMDGPU target
> > that I would really like to begin using it as soon as possible.
> >
> > Given the lack of a replacement for SelectionDAG's legalizer / combiner,
>
> Could you elaborate on what is missing for the legalizer?
> As always, we welcome contribution or PR to help guide the development of the framework.
>
> And yeah, the combiner part is missing :).

I probably shouldn't have grouped the two together, but I' was mostly
thinking about the combiner.  I haven't had much chance to look at the
legalizer yet.

> > and how much work this will be to implement, I think the fastest path to
> > doing this would be to run some of the GlobalISel passes after SelectionDAG
> > instruction selection.
> >
> > What I would like to do is modify the AMDGPU target to select SelectionDAG
> > nodes to generic opcodes, and then run the InstructionSelector pass on
> > the resulting MachineFunction.
> >
> > I would start by doing this with loads/stores and then move on to other
> > opcodes one at a time.
> >
> > These changes will be a big improvement to AMDGPU, because it will allow
> > us to replace our SIFixSGPRCopies pass which is essentially just another
> > instruction selector that re-selects instructions based on their register
> > classes and also let us do a much better job of matching addressing modes,
> > which is very important for the AMDGPU target.
> >
> > I already have a working prototype where I run SelectionDAG ISel and
> > then the InstructionSelector pass right afterwards, but I think to
> > make this approach work long-term,
>
> When you say long-term what do you have in mind?
> Put differently, I would recommend you help improving the framework instead of having this a supported solution. Indeed, the plan is still to kill SDISel :).

long-term means until we can switch to global-isel exclusively.

I'm really just looking for a way to speed our work on global-isel.  My
proposal gives me a way to work on global-isel and certain improvements
to our existing backend in parallel.  Otherwise, the global-isel work
would have to be given lower priority.

But this is really more of a project planning problem than a technical
issue.  I don't want to force a bad technical solution on the community
if people don't think it's useful.

-Tom