[llvm-dev] RFC: Drop support for old style scalar TBAA

Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 7 13:01:45 PST 2016

Hi all,

I want to clarify / emphasize two things based on an off-list
conversation:

  - The bitcode and IR parser both auto upgrade old style TBAA to the
    newer TBAA struct tags.  So, for instance, if you're writing out IR
    to disk with the old representation and reading it back in then the
    auto-upgrade logic will do the right thing for you.  You do *not*
    need to do anything special here.  However, I'd still appreciate it
    if can give me a thumbs-up or thumbs-down after doing some basic
    sanity testing with D26229 applied locally.

  - You'll only be affected by this change if you're creating IR in
    memory (for instance via the IRBuilder interface), use the old TBAA
    metadata representation and don't have an intermediate IR or
    bitcode parsing step that would have auto-upgraded the IR.  In this
    case, the quickest way to keep your frontend working with the new
    representation is to change

      I->setMetadata(LLVMContext::MD_tbaa, MD);

      I->setMetadata(LLVMContext::MD_tbaa, llvm::UpgradeTBAANode(*MD));

    llvm::UpgradeTBAA is present on tip-of-tree.  If your version of
    LLVM is too old to have that utility then copy/pasting it in from
    tip-of-tree into your code base should work fine.

-- Sanjoy