[llvm-dev] RFC: Improving the experience of first-time contributors

Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 3 15:40:28 PDT 2016

On 1 November 2016 at 13:17, Alex Bradbury <asb at asbradbury.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some discussions the night before prompted me to do a short lightning
> talk on 'improving the experience of first-time contributors' at the
> LLVM Cauldron back in September. I intended to write it up as an RFC,
> but have only just got round to doing so. I've tried to make this
> email self-contained, but you may still want to look at the slides or
> recording of the lightning talk.
>
> Slides: https://speakerdeck.com/asb/can-we-improve-the-experience-of-first-time-llvm-contributors
> Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32fmbEI9WrM

+Chandler, who has apparently been thinking along similar lines.

One point I'd like to reiterate is that this proposal is not the same
as just making it easier to select a reviewer. It also doesn't try to
solve the review problem in general, simply to pick one area where
slow reviews are likely to be most painful (first time contributors
being put off) and to try to improve it through a concerted group
effort. I like the 'first responders' name from Paul.

Best,

Alex