[llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 14:38:09 PDT 2016

> On May 31, 2016, at 2:01 PM, Bill Kelly via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Chris Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
>> Personally, I’m hugely in favor of moving llvm’s source hosting to github at
>> some point, despite the fact that I continue to dislike git as a tool and
>> consider monotonicly increasing version numbers to be hugely beneficial.
>
> For whatever it's worth, our projects define a `buildnum` git alias:
>
>  alias.buildnum=!sh -c "git rev-list --all | wc -l"
>
> So from the shell:
>
>  $ git buildnum
>  17475
>
> This number increases monotonically per commit.

It does not work with branches though (we're not really planning to have branches I believe), but more importantly it won't handle cross-repository versioning (how do you relate the number this command prints in the llvm repo to the number it'll print in the clang repo?), which I believe is something important considering our setup.

--
Mehdi