[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Florent Castelli via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 13:59:00 PDT 2016

My company is using submodules for the better or worse. It's not a perfect
solution but it can work when using a version of git recent enough and some
tooling.

The magic command to update everything to the current commit pointed by
each submodule : git submodules update --init --recursive
To get the latest version you can do: git submodules --init --recursive
--remote
This by default will get the latest version of master, but a change in the
.gitmodules file can make it point to release branches.

If you want a stable version from days ago, you can have a bot updating the
submodules everyday and pushing the submodules update, then use that
commit.
With a bot like this, manual submodule bumps should be rare and people non
familiar with git will soon forget about those.

For a linear history, you can have GitHub doing a rebase when merging the
changes instead of a merge. I would recommend to do that to keep the
history clean and have less "fixup" or "wip" commits in the history.

For the people who want to keep SVN, I've tried the compatibility layer
from GitHub and it worked well enough for me in the past. But I would
recommend to write a cheat sheet to help people migrate to Git long-term.
Recent versions of git are not as hard to use as the old versions of git
and it doesn't have to be more complicated than SVN.

/Florent