[llvm-dev] GitHub anyone?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 31 13:28:27 PDT 2016

> On May 31, 2016, at 1:16 PM, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On May 31, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> There has been some discussion on IRC about SVN hosting and the perils
>> of doing it ourselves. The consensus on the current discussion was
>> that moving to a Git-only solution would have some disvantages, but
>> many advantages. Furthermore, not hosting our own repos would save us
>> a lot of headaches, admin costs and timed out connections.
>
> Personally, I’m hugely in favor of moving llvm’s source hosting to github at some point, despite the fact that I continue to dislike git as a tool and consider monotonicly increasing version numbers to be hugely beneficial.

Getting a monotonically increasing revision number seems doable in git with some server-side scripting using git notes or named tags (yet to be seen is how to achieve it *reliably* with github hosting).
However the challenge is more about sharing this number across repositories (i.e. having clang and llvm in sync). I can imagine some tooling for that, but with a github hosting it may still be fragile.

Ideally, I'd prefer the cross-repository to be handled with an extra layer, in a way similar as described in: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/user-submodules.htm (somehow conceptually similar to Android manifests XML files).
It would be easy to have tooling/scripts for llvm that would easily say "checkout llvm+clang+compiler-rt+libcxx+clang-extra here", or "update all llvm subproject under this root", or "checkout this specific revision for all these" (with a monotonic number for the revision).

(+1 to all the rest of what you wrote)

--
Mehdi