[llvm-dev] Liveness of AL, AH and AX in x86 backend

Smith, Kevin B via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 24 11:58:09 PDT 2016

I'll try to find the example code from bzip.  I ran across this exact situation when doing work on X86FxupBWInsts.cpp.  It can happen, but the register allocator
doesn't seem to want to do it until it has run out of the low order byte registers.  I suspect that this is simply due to the register allocations order preferences, and
yes, the upper byte registers definitely were to be avoided in past x86 architectures, and still are, althoug to a lesser extent in current generation x86 architectures.

Kevin Smith