[llvm-dev] A "Cross-Platform Runtime Library API" in LLVM IR

Lorenzo Laneve via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 23 05:35:29 PDT 2016

Actually my idea was not to provide the same library for all languages, but it was to provide an API for creating a library that better fits the needs of a specific language.

If you tell me that relying on the C runtime is the best way to make a runtime library and there are really few disadvantages, then ok.

I also have to say that creating a runtime independent from the C runtime might make the language unable to be interoperable with the C itself, so effectively this would be a great disadvantage.

The main disadvantages of the libc integration are:
- The executables might result a little larger, containing some useless C entities.
- The entry point might be uselessly "heavier than needed", calling useless initializations
- If a language wants to add its own global initializers, it has to use the main() function called by _start(), and I think that all programs for convention should start from main()