[llvm-dev] A "Cross-Platform Runtime Library API" in LLVM IR

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 23 04:19:48 PDT 2016

On 23 May 2016, at 12:16, Lorenzo Laneve <lore97drk at icloud.com> wrote:

> I'm not talking about a new library instead of the libc, I'm talking about letting people create a library optimized for a specific frontend, regardless of the target.

It sounded as if you were talking about a library that sits underneath such a thing.  Lots of languages have their own runtime libraries (I maintain two of them), including Go, C++, Swift, and Objective-C.  These are generally intended to be portable across front ends, defining the low-level binary interfaces that compilers target.

David