[llvm-dev] Working on FP SCEV Analysis

Saito, Hideki via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 20 10:04:50 PDT 2016

To the best of my experience, handling case B (secondary induction) is must-have, and if I’m not mistaken,
people aren’t opposed to that.

For me, handling case A (primary induction) is “why not?”, but I certainly admit that that can be very naïve
thinking coming from lack of good understanding on SCEV and their proper usages. Now, let’s assume we
can postpone discussion about  case A. What is the best approach to handle case B? Let me summarize
the discussion so far. Hope I didn’t miss anything.

1)
Extend SCEV was the initial approach taken by Elena.
                Elena thinks this solution ”looks very structured”.
                If I’m not mistaken, some people think this is overkill and overly complicates already complicated SCEV.
                Anyone care to look at the patch Elena came up with?
2)
IndVarSimplify::handleFloatingPointIV  (mentioned by Andy)
                This transforms integer-valued FP (primary) IV into integer IV and convert.
                Chandler says most of Graphics shading language use case mentioned by Owen
                should be handled here.
                It certainly has the logic of detecting FP induction, but Andy punted discussions
                on non-integer valued IV issues to MichaelZ and Adam.
3)
extend InductionDescriptor::isInductionPHI in the vectorizer to directly analyze the PHIs without SCEV support
(mentioned by Adam)
                If this is the standard way to deal with all secondary inductions, it certainly looks attractive.
                Elena, would you try doing this and compare with 1)?

Thanks,
Hideki

----------------------
I looked at what our FORTRAN compiler (non-LLVM) does for the following (x, y, z, and f are float by default typing,
based on names).

       subroutine foo(x, y, z, A, N)
       double precision A(N)
       do f = x, y, z
         A(f) = f
       enddo
       end

The frontend computes the trip count outside of the loop (per language rule) and uses an integer primary
induction variable (compile-generated) for loop control. So, (future) FORTRAN usage doesn’t seem to be
a good example for promoting support for case A (= FP primary induction variable).