[llvm-dev] Automake Assembler Assumptions with LLVM-MC

John Reagan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 19 11:36:09 PDT 2016

We haven't attempted to build clang yet as it isn't needed for our OS
bootstrap.  In addition, given the somewhat stale C++ compiler we're using
on
OpenVMS Itanium (EDG/Intel-based), we're using LLVM 3.4.2 since it doesn't
use C++11 syntax in source code.

Even then, I had to make some changes to the LLVM source code to
get it past my C++ compiler (it has bugs with no hope of fixes).
I suspect I'll have to do the same in the clang 3.4.2 tree.
I just didn't bother with that yet.

I won't need clang until we have a working version of OpenVMS x86
so I can then bootstrap my way to something newer.  Once running
natively, we'll use clang to build things going forward.

The OS team needs a cross-assembler.  So I could spend my time to get
binutils
and gas working (it has an OpenVMS target so it isn't that complicated) or I
can just use the llvm-mc that builds with the rest of the LLVM tools.  It
may not be the long-term solution once we get clang on the native systems.

Yes, the downside to the model is that there is no pre-processor that is
automatically run over the source (either using llvm-mc or gas) so that is
often run manually by the build system.  That's what the OS team prefers
at the moment.