[llvm-dev] clang dependency generation (-Mxx) with -emit-llvm

Dustyn Blasig via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 17 09:06:25 PDT 2016

Hi All,

I'm attempting to use the above-mentioned flags together but I cannot
figure out a combination of flags that will get clang to emit the
dependency file if the emit-llvm flag is also on. I've seen examples in the
forums of people doing this, so it seems like it should work, but there
must be some small mistake I'm making.

clang++ -O2 -o build/network.ll network.cxx -std=c++11 -S -emit-llvm
-target my_target -I /depot/include -I build -v -MMD -MP -MF build/
network.ll.dep.mk -MT build/network.ll

I've tried a number of variations on the compiler -M flags to no avail. We
do have a custom target my_target that really only adds a few additional
defines into the environment. Do we need to specify something in our target
to allow dependency generation?

Thanks!