[llvm-dev] Struggling to define a simple instruction

Rail Shafigulin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 17 09:10:02 PDT 2016

Hi Sam.

Thanks for the reply. This is not exactly what I was looking for.

Say I have a loop that looks like this:

sum = 0
for (i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  sum += (a[i] + b[i])

I would like a compiler to do the following:

vector.load vector.r0, addressOfA
vector.load vector.r1, addressOfB
vector.add vector.r0, vector.r0, vector.r1
sumreduce gpr.r0, vector.r0

Another scenario is adding all the elements of the array (this is probably
a better example)
sum = 0
for (i = i; i < 4; i++)
  sum += a[i]

would be converted to
vector.load vector.r0, addressOfA
sumreduce gpr.r0, vector.r0

If you can assist with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

--
Rail Shafigulin
Software Engineer