[llvm-dev] Working on FP SCEV Analysis

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 16 17:35:42 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

This is often true, and it is neither UB nor poison. The user has given the compiler the freedom to choose whatever the compiler decides will be most-efficient to compute. "fast math" is an odd concept in that sense. It is giving the compiler the freedom to change the program semantics to some extent.

 -Hal

>  Does it
> have UB (in which case we can't hoist fastmath arithmetic) or is it
> more like poison?  Depending on the answer, for fastmath we can
> considering doing what we do today for nuw/nsw (which has its own set
> of issues, but at least wouldn't require us to start from scratch).
>
> -- Sanjoy

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist
Leadership Computing Facility