[llvm-dev] [RFC] New diagnostic handler for llc

Diana Picus via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 12 10:16:04 PDT 2016

On 12 May 2016 at 16:19, Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> The problem in PR24071 seemed to be that clang proceeded with compilation
> even though the inline asm was not valid.  I'm not sure that there is value
> in trying to make the backend continue compiling code that most likely has
> no meaning.

I'm not 100% convinced that is the case here. The inline asm errors
are reported via LLVMContext::emitError, which has this documentation:

  /// emitError - Emit an error message to the currently installed error handler
  /// with optional location information.  This function returns, so code should
  /// be prepared to drop the erroneous construct on the floor and "not crash".
  /// The generated code need not be correct.

Since the backend is the one calling emitError, the backend is the one
that shouldn't crash, regardless of what diagnostic handler is
installed. I think llc should help us test that this is the case. At
least that's my interpretation of things.