[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Up front type information generation in clang and llvm

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 11 10:39:44 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't agree in general here because of:
>
> a) maintainability - there isn't a one true path through things and now is
> scattering more windows knowledge through debug info and lto

There was never going to be one true way to generate LLVM debug info
for both formats. We need some help from the frontend.

> b) higher bar for implementing similar dwarf functionality - there's nothing
> here that makes it at any point better for our general debug info support.
> Incrementally updating to an intermediate step is much easier and a lower
> bar than needing to implement everything up to and including a format aware
> linker and support that through ThinLTO, the JIT, and full LTO.

I claim that everything does not have to be format aware. All it has
to do is call out to a library which is format aware. We can come up
with reasonable high-level abstractions for operations that we'll want
to do on types, such as "extract this type and everything it