[llvm-dev] RFC: metadata attachments for global variables

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 9 16:26:48 PDT 2016

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 3:17 PM, Peter Collingbourne <peter at pcc.me.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:33 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Could you explain more what you mean by "<this> is how it worked until"
>>> - 'this' being how it used to work and how you're proposing to make it
>>> work? I'm not quite following.
>>>

>> Sorry, I meant that prior to r172591 we would represent a static data
>> member with something that looked like what a DIGlobalVariable looks like
>> today, but with a ConstantInt representing the initializer in the variable
>> field (which is where the GlobalVariable is normally stored). The change
>> moved the initializer to an associated "static member type" (yes, it's not
>> really a type), which as a side effect caused us to (as far as I can tell)
>> no longer store ConstantInts in the variable field.
>>

> Actually this isn't accurate, we still produce a ConstantInt in the
> variable field of DIGlobalVariable for constants in the global scope (e.g.
> test/CodeGen/2010-08-10-DbgConstant.c in clang). I'll have to think more
> about what the right representation is for that then.

Looks like this might be broken/have regressed at some point:

static const int x = 3;
void f1(int);
void f2(int*);
void f3() {
  f1(x);
  f2(&x);
}

Now we generate two global variables named 'x', one with a constant value,
the other with an address.

We probably only want the one with the address. (but, then again, we
probably want to turn the one with an address to having a constant value if
its storage gets optimized away)