[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Bill Kelly via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 7 09:08:12 PDT 2016

(I do seem to be having difficulty articulating my thoughts on this
subject, but I'll try again.)

Tanya Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:

> There are many many people who aren’t even commenting at all because
> they fear being attacked in this thread.

I don't know what to do with this.  People interested in LLVM are at
the apex of technical sophistication.  Anyone who wished to comment
anonymously could surely make use of a VPN and a temporary email
account?

Alternately, one imagines a person could email you, requesting you
relay a post on their behalf?

"My ideas aren't sacred. Please challenge them."

This is my mantra, but ... again, I'm at a loss as to how to respond
to someone if they're not operating on this principle.

We have secular bloggers in Bangladesh who are literally being hacked
to death for posting their beliefs.

I don't think that's probably within the scope of concerns for those
expressing opinions in the LLVM community?  (I don't mean this flippantly.
My brain likes to find limit cases and work inward.)

Please help me understand what is literally meant by "they fear being
attacked" in an [llvm-dev] thread.  Is it code for "one might feel
uncomfortable if one's beliefs were challenged"?  Or is there something
more sinister at work?

Genuinely perplexed,

Regards,

Bill