[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 6 12:47:07 PDT 2016

On 6 May 2016 at 20:39, Lang Hames via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> For what it's worth it's definitely the line that caused me the most
> concern. In the least charitable reading it could be seen as applying "LLVM
> community standards" to contributors' private lives, which would be a big
> departure from our current culture.

Indeed, a very good point. The biggest argument is that the code is
not trying to change our culture and that definitely goes against it.

> I understand that that's not how it's
> intended though, and I trust the committee to apply a sensible (and lower)
> standard to private behavior than they do to behavior in LLVM community
> spaces. In Rafael's example, as you said, it would be ridiculous to consider
> disciplining someone for sharing an Onion article on social media, even if
> sharing that same article on the dev-list would have been inappropriate.

I've added my comment on the review itself, but he're s a copy:

I personally feel this is not so bad for two things:

1. It says "may affect", not "will affect". Not a very strong point
per se, but strong enough given point two.
2. Being unfair in the evaluation and punishment of cases like that
would go directly against this very code. Blocking someone because
they were seen with a silly T-shirt in their Facebook pictures will be
a clear case of bullying, and thus could be reported by this very
code.

If the committee is really serious about bullying, then the committee
will put itself on the list of potential offenders, and they should be
judged in the same manner.

If they don't, than we have much bigger problems than the code itself...

I hope I'm not being too naive.

cheers,
--renato