[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

Chris Lattner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 15:22:38 PDT 2016

On May 5, 2016, at 3:18 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> One of the many reasons a code of conduct is useful is to show outsiders what our community is like, what we think is acceptable and what is not. They read that, then they know how they are expected to behave and how they will be treated. They are much more likely to be a part of that community.
>
> My argument is that this is much more important in the US than in most
> other places (see my response to Hal). But the US is a big enough
> chunk that we cannot ignore.

Renato, I’m confused about your approach here.  At this point, you seem persistently interested in discussing whether having a code of conduct is the right thing or not.  This is missing the point: we’re committed to it, and want to make sure that we get reasonable processes and policies in place.

If we find out that they are problematic in practice, we can and will course correct.

-Chris