[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding an itanium c++ demangler to lib/Support

David Majnemer via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 11:14:58 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> +Kate
>
> We already have two demangler implementations (LLDB and libcxxabi).  I'd
> rather not have three.  Have you looked at the LLDB one?  I think Kate has
> some patches she hasn't had a chance to commit yet that add functionality.
> I heard something like 10x faster, and way less stack usage (although not
> quite fully functional yet).  Seems like a good starting point.
>
> I don't have a problem with "the one true demangler" living in
> lib/Support, but ideally we'd find a way to reuse it in libc++abi so that
> we have one, well-tested, implementation.

IIRC, LLDB has two demanglers: one is a copy of the libc++ demangler and
the other is a "fast-path" demangler.  There are some cases that the
fast-path demangler cannot handle which leads it to fall back to the libc++
clone.

My professional opinion, having worked a lot with mangling technology,
would be for us to write a new mangler that had incredibly few dependencies
on anything.  This would make it easy for us to copy the source or an
object file generated by the source.