[llvm-dev] Resuming the discussion of establishing an LLVM code of conduct

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 5 04:32:24 PDT 2016

On 5 May 2016, at 12:14, Charles Davis via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> The last sentence of the third paragraph bothers me:
>
>> In addition, violations of this code outside these spaces may affect
>> a person's ability to participate within them.
> ​This essentially gives the committee carte blanche to police our thoughts no matter where we are or what we're doing. I don't like the idea of having my thoughts policed. There are people out there who will abuse ​this for their own ends! I can't let those people do that.

Something like this is required, based on real problems that have existed in some other communities.  If one LLVM contributor is attacking another on Facebook / Twitter / whatever, then it’s not acceptable for the LLVM community to simply say ‘it’s not on our mailing lists, it’s not our problem’.

Similarly, it’s hard to claim that a project is inclusive of group X if committer Y is attacking group X elsewhere in a way that associates the project with their statements (for example, soliciting LLVM-related consulting work from the same account) and the project is happy to permit this.

These are not hypothetical problems, they are ones that I have first-hand experience with (though, thankfully, not in this community).  The code of conduct does need to provide a mechanism for addressing these, though the sanctions that can be employed (removal of commit rights, removal of mailing list access) are fairly mild.  We don’t want to be in a situation where people can say ‘don’t get involved with LLVM, they hate people like you’ and we say ‘oh, that’s just an LLVM developer posting on his own site / social media thingy, it’s nothing to do with us.  [S]He’s never used LLVM infrastructure to harass people like you, so it’s not our problem’.

David