[llvm-dev] [RFC] Non-Temporal hints from Loop Vectorizer

Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 4 11:32:44 PDT 2016

> On May 3, 2016, at 4:40 PM, Mikhail Zolotukhin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 3, 2016, at 1:36 PM, Stephen Canon via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Expanding on my initial reaction:
>>
>> x86 NT stores do have a valid use case, but it is limited, and a compiler absolutely should not be generating them without either (a) an explicit request from the programmer, or (b) a reasonably precise memory model that includes caches of an explicit targeted machine, because they are only beneficial if you can prove that the address being stored to is not in cache, and would not be present in cache at next use even if a normal store were used.

and profile information. The loop trip is important in this space, too. Adam had pointed this out earlier I think.

>> For very simple synthetic benchmarks with large loop trip counts (and by “large” I really mean “staggeringly huge”, given modern L3 sizes), it’s possible to statically know that these criteria are satisfied without a full cache model, but those cases are pretty limited and not obviously beneficial outside of benchmarks.
>>
>> Weight against this small benefit, there are a two big things that can go wrong with NT stores, which make me very wary of auto-generating them:
>>
>> - they break some of the usual ordering guarantees.
>> - the performance is catastrophically bad (significantly worse than normal stores) when the address is present in cache.

Agreed. To balance that view, though, the gains can impressively high (under all the caveats pointed out in this thread), too.

>> My experience is that while there are indeed a few beneficial real-world uses of these instructions, if they aren’t deployed extremely carefully they cause more problems than they solve, and LLVM doesn’t at present have the infrastructure that would be needed to accurately inform their use.
> That was my conclusion too.
>
> I actually thought about autogenerating NT hints too, but before diving into implementing that I carried out some experiments on benchmarks like SPEC and similar - I tried to model what the compiler would do there and replaced usual stores in candidate loops with __builtin_nontemporal_store. I didn't see any gains at that moment (I don't remember if I saw losses though, but I can see that we can get them easily), so I dropped that.

There were losses in the ~10% range overall  from applying NT stores in some of the hot benchmarks.