[llvm-dev] Problem on cross-compiling compiler-rt

王磊 via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 3 19:24:17 PDT 2016

I finally solved my problem. Chris's suggestion helps much, but there are still a few problems to build cross platform compiler-rt.
-DLLVM_BUILD_EXTERNAL_COMPILER_RT=On -> This is valid and required to force compiler-rt to be built by the just-built clang.
-DCOMPILER_RT_DEFAULT_TARGET_ARCH= -> This does not work, but -DCOMPILER_RT_DEFAULT_TARGET_TRIPLE works.
While using there two additional options, I still got errors. The build system successfully configured and built clang/LLVM but failed to configure compiler-rt due to the clang checking in compiler-rt's Cmake system.
I add x86 into LLVM_TARGET_ARCH, and this helps the just-built clang pass the CMake check, but failed in another checking which is invoked by test_target_arch. The test_target_arch is used to setup flags used for building compiler-rt, but it uses try_compile() function, which compiles a simple test code using libraries and invokes linker and linker scripts, flags, etc.. Without compiler-rt, clang will, of course, fails to link programs. However, compiler-rt does not need clang to link. I forced try_compile() successful, and everything goes smoothly. Inconveniently, I have to use clang integrated an spare x86 target.
Moreover, in compiler-rt's built-in library, there are some emulating (?) libraries, such as emutls and eprintf, that are using host system header files, which may potentially cause compatible problem. I'm not sure if they should be included in GENERIC_SOURCES.
I hope this information could help the cross-compiling of compiler-rt.
Thank you. Thanks, Chris and yanglee.

Lei