[llvm-dev] [RFC] Helping release management

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 3 11:01:20 PDT 2016

On 3 May 2016 at 17:50, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:
> Sorry, meaning ToT at some point closer to our internal freeze date.
> For example, LLVM 3.8 branched in January and the last non-release-note
> commit looks like it was in late February; however, we're freezing our
> 3.8-based release this week.  That's nearly 4 months after the branch
> and more than 2 months after the last upstream fix.

What if we changed the official release date to 1 month before your
release? Would that make it easier to use exclusively our releases and
participate actively on the process?

I'm wondering how many downstream release processes we have, and if we
can save *everybody*'s work and time by moving the upstream release to
a time where it's beneficial to everyone.

If 9 out of 10 downstream releases happen around the same time, it
could even be feasible to convince the 10th release to adapt, so we
can all work in the public release at the same time, and help out the
downstream releases by creating short point-releases afterwards.

--renato