[llvm-dev] Upgrading to MSVC 2015

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 31 11:57:26 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:42 AM Aaron Ballman <aaron at aaronballman.com>
wrote:

> Not everyone can upgrade to the latest version of the toolchain, even
> if it has been released for a while. We did drop MSVC 2012 support
> early, but MSVC 2015 was in RC or RTM stages by that point, and we had
> some pretty big incentive to upgrade early (without function templates
> supporting default arguments, the AST matcher DSL made for really slow
> compiles of Clang itself, and resulted in a larger executable size
> among other things, IIRC).

I know you mentioned that one of the reasons we upgraded to 2013 was
because 2015 was in RC or RTM.  Ironically, the day after I posted this MS
announced Visual Studio 15 preview
<https://www.visualstudio.com/news/vs15-preview-vs>  (which is confusingly
the version *after* Visual Studio 2015).  In any case, it's not an RC, and
it's certainly not an RTM, but it is on the horizon.  So hopefully we can
revisit this question when 15 is in RC / RTM