[llvm-dev] Existing studies on the benefits of pointer analysis

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 25 18:26:13 PDT 2016

> I’m still a big fan of context sensitive, flow insensitive, unification
> based models.

CFL can emulate this in the same time bound.

>  Contrary to your claim, context sensitivity *is* useful for mod-ref
> analysis, e.g. “can I hoist a load across this call”?  Context sensitivity
> improves the precision of the mod/ref set of the call.

-Chris

Yeah.
It depends entirely on your goal. In reality, often what you really want is
something to say "hey, i've got this pointer over here, and i really want
to hoist  it up here. Do something, tell me if that is possible".

(This is actually why i'm a fan of CFL-AA. You can essentially make it as
expensive or not expensive as you want, and it still does really well in
pracftice in time)