[llvm-dev] RFC: New aggressive dead code elimination pass

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 25 15:30:15 PDT 2016

Make most things update post-dominance info and preserve it.

Our other alternative to not take up too much time seems to be invasive
surgery on how BB successors/predecessors work so they are a constant time
array.  I say this because GCC recomputes post-dominators roughly 15-19
times per compilation, and can do it about 3-5x faster than we can. All
profiling i've done basically says all our time is spent trying to get at
successors and predecessors in dominance/post-dominance respectively, which
takes basically no time in gcc, because the edge lists are an array.

(Note that if you look at generic dominance code, like
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rwerneck/dominators/, it's much faster than
what we do on the same graphs. This is true even though we use the same
algorithms .....)

Given it seems unlikely we are going to change the internal representation
anytime soon (or at least i've not seen a proposal), updating post-dom
seems the easier answer.