[llvm-dev] [GSoC] First draft project proposal; IR level interpreter debugger

Janek van Oirschot via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 25 10:58:41 PDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 03:28 AM, Philip Reames via llvm-dev wrote:
>>
>> I've scanned over your proposal, but am not quite sure I understand your
>> objective.  Is your intent to be able to step through IR source in a
>> debugger and inspect intermediate state?

Yes, that is what I had in mind with this proposal.

>>If so, you may consider
>> whether "simply" inserting debug metatadata into your IR which describes
>> the IR source, and then compiling it gives you your desired result.
>

> A pass that does precisely this has been contributed by someone from Intel
> at some point but got removed later on for reasons I don't recall.
> It might be worth to scan the archives.

Thanks for your response, I have searched in archives and I think I
found some references to what you're talking about (DebugIR?). Though,
I haven't been able to find the reason as to why it was removed. My
concern now is whether this GSoC project has become obsolete because
of this.

I'll continue trying to find the reason why this was removed.

Kind regards,
Janek