[llvm-dev] [GSoC] First draft project proposal; IR level interpreter debugger

Janek van Oirschot via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 23 15:20:41 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 6:44 AM, Sanjoy Das
<sanjoy at playingwithpointers.com> wrote:
> I don't quite understand what you mean by "x86 IR code" or "IR level
> x86 code"  -- can you please clarify?

In the FAQ I found the following: "since many platforms define their
ABIs in terms of C, and since LLVM is lower-level than C, front-ends
currently must emit platform-specific IR in order to have the result
conform to the platform ABI.". I might've interpreted this wrong but
from my understanding: there might be calls that are
architecture/platform dependant (example from LLVM FAQ is "sizeof"
operation for C/C++). I basically meant to say that I scope my project
to x86 architecture IR level debugging.

Thanks for the response, will clarify that in my proposal.

Kind regards,
Janek