[llvm-dev] A couple ideas for possible GSoC projects

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 22 16:54:19 PDT 2016

And I thought of another idea immediately after I sent this.. Of course.  :)

Modify Bugpoint to Reduce a *Particular* Crash
Bugpoint is our test case reduction tool.  Today, bugpoint will reduce
*any* crash it observes.  While this is surprisingly useful as a fuzzing
tool, it can be frustrating when trying to isolate a particular failure
out of a large IR file.  Bugpoint can sometimes end up introducing
invalid IR - due to bugs in bugpoint itself - which lead to
"uninteresting" crash reductions as well.  A very useful enhancement for
bugpoint would be to identify a "signature" of the original crash and
only consider a reduction to succeed if the "signature" is preserved.
(For example, the signature of an assertion failure might be the file
and line printed to the console.)

A bonus feature would be to save each intermediate crash which produced
an alternate signature so that they could be independently reduced at a
later time.

Fair warning, the bugpoint codebase is much less well maintained then
the rest of LLVM.  Anyone who takes on this project should expect to
need to do some incremental cleanup in order to make progress.  There is
also a lot of room for further enhancements to bugpoint if the initial
project was finished early.