[llvm-dev] Need help with code generation

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 22 13:29:34 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:19 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:00 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'd still find it problematic that lld itself would consider
>>> crash-on-invalid "not a bug" to the point of not reviewing/approving
>>> patches to fix such issues. That's what I'm concerned about in this thread.
>>>

>> That's one way to see that. The other view is it as a whole has a boolean
>> option *IsInputTrustworthy* and works accordingly. What matters most is
>> what we provide to the users as a guarantee.  You have an opinion that that
>> should be implemented within LLD, but that would now an internal design
>> choice. Hypothetically we had such pass to verify inputs, and if you send a
>> patch to "fix" crash bug of LLD, we wouldn't probably reject that but
>> instead argue that that needs to be addressed in the verifier pass instead.
>> This is about "how" something should be implemented and usual design choice
>> discussion, no?
>>

> OK, sorry - some confusion. I assume that you wouldn't run this verifier
> pass by default in lld-the-command-line-tool, right? (I would guess it
> wouldn't meet your performance criteria)

Correct.

> So from that perspective, lld-the-command-line-tool would still be
> crashing-by-design on certain inputs in its default/normal/user-facing mode
> & that would be seem problematic to me.

I disagree. You are in almost all case handling valid object files created
by compilers, and if omitting some error checks for really pathetic case
would make code simpler and improve performance, I think having that option
is worth it (and I believe that's the case, at least those who are actually
writing code seems to take that stance.) Also, if you give broken object
files, you wouldn't get an output anyways. The only difference that a user
can observe is whether it dies with an error message or not. We could even
catch an segfault and run the verifier on the input again to print out an
error after something goes wrong.

If you're proposing having this verifier run by default - sure, then I