[llvm-dev] Need help with code generation

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 21 17:22:03 PDT 2016

Hi Rui,

In such a hostile environment, do you really run any linker in an
> unprotected environment?

Not that I know of, but it's not an unreasonable thing to want to do: Run a
linker on 3rd party input and have it link (or error out), not execute
arbitrary code.

Before it comes up yet again - I'm know that it is practically impossible
to be fully bug-free, but that goes for any software project, and other
software projects don't use it as an excuse not to try at all. LLVM's
policy should be to try to detect errors in user input and exit cleanly.
Exactly how we prioritize work on that is a challenge, but again - it's a
challenge on any project.

Cheers,
Lang.